A Brief History and Walking Tour
Finding Inspiration in Every Turn
The Town of Clarkson is presently bordered by Orlean's County on the west, towns of Hamlin on the north, Sweden on the south and Parma on the east. Clarkson was originally part of the area in western New York known as the Triangle Tract and was named after one of the original land owners, General Matthew Clarkson. When Clarkson was formed in 1819, it included the area which is now the Town of Hamlin. Hamlin became a separate town in 1852.
Although Clarkson is one of the smallest towns in Monroe County, many of Western New York's prominent citizens dwelled here and went of to fame and fortune. In the early 1800's, Clarkson was noted for inhabitants who were judges, lawyers, doctors, and teachers and for the Clarkson Academy where many were educated. Among the Academy alumni was an automobile engine inventor and an astronomer.
Click on the button below to download the directions for the Clarkson walking tour.